Saturday, June 29, 2013

Getting there..

A shivery Saturday today and the 2nd frost this week 2.5 deg.C!. Thank goodness I could lie in today!
The sewing front has been a bit quiet but I'm getting there with the batik quilt.
It's just been too cold and had full on weeks at work recently, so I've just flopped at night!

Bought some great batik fabric for the binding online. I took the quilt to Auckland and got an opinion that it should not be too bright to detract from the calm colours of the quilt. But I usually don't follow advice and go with my instinct! It's a bright turquoise and teal and such a nice fabric it's a shame not to use it in a bigger piece. But I did take a photo of it.
So the quilt is now in one piece and I've free motion quilted over the 3 seams to secure the hand stitched seams over the fabric joins on the back.

                                          More of a sneak peek at the quilt and the binding fabric.
                                          There is also a panel over the machine which is going to
                                          turn into place mats at some stage down the line!
                                        

I have again gone against ''usual'' binding practice, and had a last minute thought - after I'd sewn it on to the back. I unpicked the whole thing, deciding to open up the binding to show more of it and will carefully machine sew the edge over to the front. I like that ''reverse'' method to avoid hand sewing! I like the look of the machine stitching edge to the front. You can then use a bright cotton or even use a double needle with 2 colours as I have done on another quilt. I have to be a bit more careful sewing so it lies flat and doesn't wrinkle/pucker up as I sew..so I pin  and hope for the best!

There is another quilt waiting in the wings to start...a Block of the Month from last year called Purple passion. A 9 block project. I have been buying fabric gradually for it. I have drafted a pattern from a picture of a quilt and am going to try and devise a method myself of putting it together. Our local patchwork shop had a one day 40% off sale last week. I had previously auditioned some background yellow so was able to get that at the bargain price. I was pleased to get a sudden day with no work which happily coincided with the sale day, what a bonus!

My younger baby boy turned 17 yesterday - how times flies..




Thought you might like to see my bright sewing machine cover I made out of a great $10 bag of scraps. So I can't lose it!

Bye for now.














No comments:

Post a Comment